Plan It! Entrepreneur Training Class
Plan It! An Entrepreneur’s Guide to Success training class, helps emerging entrepreneurs learn the fundamentals of running a business and develop a solid business plan. As a part of our continuing commitment to small businesses and the community, NDC, in conjunction with Neighborhood Partners, intend to help in reducing barriers to small business success for residents in the Twin Cities metro area who want to learn the skills needed to start and operate their own small business.
- Traditional – Interested in opening a for-profit business venture.
- Food Industry – Interested in opening or expanding a food-based business (ex. restaurant/cafe, food truck, catering, and/or food product).
- Construction Trades – Interested in operating a construction and skilled trade business.
Program Selection Criteria
We are looking for participants who:
- Plan to open a business within one of our priority neighborhoods in the Twin Cities metro area:
- University Corridor – St. Paul
- North End
- East Side St. Paul
- West Side St. Paul (not West St. Paul in Dakota County)
- West Seventh Neighborhood
- North Minneapolis
- North East Minneapolis
- South Minneapolis (not including Uptown)
- Brooklyn Park
- Brooklyn Center
- Has a clear and focused business idea that you want to pursue or expand
- Business idea is for-profit ventures (not including Real Estate, Non-profit, and Transportation out of state business ventures)
- Looking for someone that is committed and will make every effort to complete the course, create a business plan, and meet the expectations of the trainer
Class fees are determined on a sliding scale ($150 – $650), based on household income, family size, and if you live or plan to operate your business in one of our priority neighborhoods. Applicants who are neither residents of nor operate their businesses in one of NDC’S priority neighborhoods must pay the full $650.00 course fee and are not eligible for NDC’S ongoing support services.
Unless otherwise negotiated, payment is due before you attend your first class session. Payment plans are available upon request; the total class fee must be paid by the start of session 4.
Plan It! classes meet weekly online through Zoom Video Conferencing once a week for two hours for 12 sessions.
Maximum class size is 12 – 15. Need a minimum of six participants, who have paid their course fee, for a class to run.
Participants will have up to ten hours to meet with their class trainer outside of class, to get personalized feedback and support in developing their business plan.
Session topics covered: attributes and planning for business success, target market, competitive analysis, marketing & branding, credit & financing, management & operations, financial planning and more over 15 weeks.
Schedule 20-minute Interview
Please understand that submitting your application is an indication of interest. Once you complete the online application, the next step will be to schedule a 20-minute informal interview with Class Trainer, a NDC Training Department Staff, and Neighborhood Partner representative, which will be conducted online through Zoom. The purpose of this interview is to learn more about you and your business idea. We will select individuals from the pool of applicants after all the interviews have been completed.
Training Class Schedules for Fall 2021
Traditional Plan It! Training Class Schedules
Thank you for your interest in our Plan It! Entrepreneur Training Class. We are no longer accepting applications. The next opportunity to apply for the Plan It! Entrepreneur training class is Spring 2022. We will begin accepting application early December 2021. If you would like to be notified when we begin accepting applications for Spring 2022 training class, please complete our Training Program Interest Form by clicking “Training Interest Form” button below.
Food Industry Plan It! Training Class Schedule
Thank you for your interest in our Food Industry training classes. We are no longer accepting applications for this training class. The next opportunity to take the Food Industry Plan It! training class is Spring 2022. We will begin accepting application early December 2021. If you would like to be notified when we begin accepting applications for Spring 2022 training class, please complete our Training Program Interest Form by clicking “Training Interest Form” button below.
Be Strategic: Second Stage Business Training
Do you have a great business with potential for growth, but need a financial push or business assistance to take it to the next level? This program is designed for experienced entrepreneurs who are currently operating a successful business and are seeking the right training to reach the next stage of business growth. This 8-session cohort-driven training module developed by the Entrepreneur Fund is experiential, with opportunities to learn and contribute.
Session topics include:
- Growth Mindset & Strategic Business Plan
- Mission, Vision Strategies, Goals
- Marketing, Social Media, Finance, and Management
- 2 Month Work Plan and Peer Coaching
- Presentation of Strategic Business Plan & Peer Consulting
Eligible Businesses to Apply:
- In business at least 2 years
- Making yearly $250,000
- Able to produce financial statements and tax returns
- Actively seeking to grow
- Maximum cohort size is six businesses
$325 (reduced fee due to Covid)
Payment plans available
NDC Trainer: Shahir Ahmed
Saturdays, September 11 – December 18, 2021
10:00 am – 12:30 pm
In-person or online through Zoom