11 Jan Loan Officer/Business Advisor
Loan Officer/Business Advisor
Annual Salary Range $58,000 – $68,000
Neighborhood Development Center (NDC) is a non-profit organization that offers business training, loans and technical assistance to inner-city entrepreneurs in Saint Paul and Minneapolis. NDC’s mission is to improve neighborhood economies by developing the talents of micro-entrepreneurs within their own communities. NDC has trained more than 6,000 people to date (80% of who are persons of color.) We currently have approximately 500 alumni in business.
NDC places a strong emphasis on accountability, adaptability and commitment to working closely with entrepreneurs to help overcome obstacles and barriers. NDC’s work relies upon collaboration and strong personal relationships. These values drive our policies, programs and personnel.
NDC is a small, friendly, busy office with a fast-paced work environment. Employees must be innovative, entrepreneurial and be willing to tackle a wide variety of tasks. Successful employees will have a passion for social justice and an eagerness to engage in the communities where we work.
This position is responsible for loan underwriting, loan closing, and providing technical assistance to businesses, most of whom will be alumni of NDC.
Major Responsibilities include:
- Preparing the underwriting report and presenting the loan request to the Loan Committee.
- Managing a loan portfolio of approximately 50 borrowers with regular follow-up with the borrowers, providing loan restructure
- options when necessary, and following the Loan Delinquency Procedures
- Working with supervisor and borrower on problem loans
- Providing technical assistance/consultation that helps Targeted Entrepreneurs build their capacity to run successful businesses in the most effective and efficient way possible.
- Handling phone and walk-in loan inquiries, assessing potential applicants’ eligibility according to NDC lending guidelines
- Working closely with eligible NDC loan applicants, analyzing business plans and financial statements, tax returns, determining feasibility of income and cash flow projections, determining value of collateral, analyzing credit reports and other necessary documentation.
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate is likely to have several of the following:
- Significant employment experience in business management, accounting, marketing, sales, retail, or internet-based business
- Experience working with culturally, linguistically, and economically diverse communities
- Two years of experience in small business lending and/or community development
- Previous experience as a business owner
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to tactfully analyze and critique business plans
- Comfort making presentations to a small audience
- Eagerness to take on extra tasks as necessary to accomplish organization’s mission.
- Technical strength with Excel, Microsoft Word, and math
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, or accounting, banking, community development, urban studies, or related discipline
- Bilingual or familiarity with Hmong, Somali, Latino, Oromo, African American or Native American cultures strongly preferred
How to Apply:
Send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to HR@ndc-mn.org or mail to HR, 625 University Ave W., St. Paul, MN 55103